2013 TBR Pile Challenge Sign-Ups!
Update: Due to popular demand, the deadline for posting your final lists has been extended from 12/31/12 to 1/5/13. I understand everyone is busy with the holidays, so hopefully this takes a bit of the pressure off. Happy New Year!
Congratulations to the 2012 Winner: Jenny from Jenny & Kelly Read Books!
Yahoo! That special time of year has come around again! It’s the time when we’re all frantically scanning the book blog-o-sphere for challenges that we might want to compete in next year.
This is my fourth year hosting and participating in the annual “TBR Pile Challenge.” It started after I realized I had such an issue buying books but never reading them (not because I don’t read – but because I have so many!). So, year after year, books would sit on my shelf, untouched, and I would end up reading newer ones first. I realized I was missing out on a lot of great books because I let them sit there gathering dust instead of reading them as I bought them.
The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).
1. Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2012 or later (any book published in the year 2011 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile – I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.
2. To be eligible, you must sign-up with Mr. Linky below – link to your list (so create it ahead of time!) and add updated links to each book’s review. Books must be read and must be reviewed (doesn’t have to be too fancy) in order to count as completed.
3. The link you post in the Mr. Linky below must be to your “master list” (see mine below). This is where you will keep track of your books completed, crossing them out and/or dating them as you go along, and updating the list with the links to each review (so there’s one easy, convenient way to find your list and all your reviews for the challenge). See THIS LINK for an idea of what I mean. Your complete and final list must be posted by January 5th, 2013.
4. Leave comments on this post as you go along, to update us on your status. Come back here if/when you complete this challenge and leave a comment indicating that you CONQUERED YOUR 2013 TBR LIST! Every person who successfully reads his/her 12 books and/or alternates (and who provides a working link to their list, which has links to the review locations) will be entered to win a $50 gift card from Amazon.com or The Book Depository!
5. Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable, as long as you have never read the book before and it was published pre-2012!
*Note – You can read the books on your list in any order; they do not need to be read in the order you have them listed. As you complete a book – review it, and go back to your original list and turn that title into a link to the review – that will keep the comments section here from getting ridiculously cluttered. For an example of what I mean, Click Here.
UPDATE: I’ve decided to make a small change/addition to this year’s challenge. On the 15th of each month, I’m going to post a “TBR Pile Check-In.” This will allow participants to link-up their reviews from the past month and get some recognition for their progress. There will also be small mini-challenges and giveaways to go along with these posts (Such As: Read 6 books by the June Check-in and be entered to win a book of your choice!). I’m hoping this will help to keep us all on track and make the challenge a bit more engaging/interactive. If it goes well, maybe I’ll keep this format for future years.
My 2013 TBR Pile Challenge List:
1. Persuasion by Jane Austen (1816)
2. Shine by Lauren Myracle (2011)
3. Orlando by Virginia Woolf (1928) :: Currently Reading ::
4. Beloved by Toni Morrison (1987)
5. O Pioneers by Willa Cather (1913) :: Completed 1/5/2013 ::
6. The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (2007) :: Completed 1/7/2013 ::
7. The Gunslinger by Stephen King (1982)
8. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene (1951)
9. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1880)
10. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1894)
11. Gods and Monsters (Father of Frankenstein) by Christopher Bram (1995)
12. Sodom on the Thames: Sex, Love, and Scandal in Wilde Times by Morris B. Kaplan (2007)
1. The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma (2011)
2. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (1947)
Sign-Up to take the 2013 TBR Pile Challenge: