I saw Allie post this on her blog A Literary Odyssey. It’s cute and fun and I haven’t had the time/energy to write any reviews lately (sorry!), so I thought I’d have a little fun with this instead.
Essays. Lots of them. Over the past few months, I’ve had at least a 5 or 10-page essay due almost every week. I had a 5-page paper (and a presentation) to do two weeks ago, before Thanksgiving break. Got a tiny bit of respite, then it was another 5-pager due this week, a 15-pager due next week, and another 10-pager due the week after! But, at long last, I can finally see break-time on the horizon…. two more weeks until winter break! Of course, I still work full-time, but it’s something.
Lots of scholarly articles and narratology/narrative theory books. Some E.A. Poe and some 20th Century American Lit. Not very much pleasure reading, though. I try to sneak in a short story from Poe once a week (originally, I was trying to do one a day – but that didn’t last long. 3 Days, maybe?). I’m also reading Jack Holmes and His Friend by Edmund White for our Green Carnation Prize Reading Project.
To lots of talk radio (I drive a lot and spend about 90% of my drive time listening to 92.7 WCPT – Chicago’s Progressive Talk). Also some of my own personal mixes and, yes, Christmas music!
Weeds (Season 4? 5? Whatever the newest season on Netflix is) and some other shows that are in season, like The Big Bang Theory (love!), The Office, Cake Boss, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Glee, Family Guy, The Simpsons, and Hot in Cleveland. Yeah, I watch too much t.v.
At Christmas wish lists for my family members… dreaming of all the things I wish I could buy them, and thinking about what I’ll actually end up getting ’em. HAH.
I’m learning all the time – I do that on purpose. I don’t understand the point of drifting through life living through rote and closing one’s self off to new knowledge and new experiences. I know that sounds preachy and pretentious, but seriously… why get up and go out every day if you’re not going to get anything new from it? But, more specifically, I’ve been learning a lot about narrative discourse, narratology, and various aspects of 20th Century American Lit. I’m working on a research paper for Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath, so I’m learning quite a bit more about that particular book as well.
Exhausted, tired, kind of ambivalent about things, to be honest. Everyone warned me that pursuing a Ph.D. in English would be, well, trying. And they’re right. You’re not supposed to work (and certainly not full-time) while pursuing a Ph.D. but, unfortunately, I don’t really have a choice. I’ve also been weighing a few decisions, waffling on certain things, and letting my life get a bit disorganized and out of control. Not in any extreme way, but enough to make me feel anxious.
The three-week winter break that is coming up soon! I can’t wait to take a little breather from all this schoolwork and from all the driving (it’s a 75-minute drive each way, twice per week, right after a 9-hour work day). I’m also hoping to get some extra workouts in during this time, since it’s been impossible (okay, highly difficult) for me to exercise regularly while I’ve been working and in school full-time.
I would finally win the lottery so that I could concentrate 90% of my energy on my doctoral studies and the other 10% on world travel. 😉
My partner! We are celebrating our 6th anniversary today! Also, my family and my friends. I’m loving my new car, but not the payments that come with it. And, as always, I’m loving my books and my music – they keep me calm and sane(ish).
Book Reviews ∙ Bookish Tags ∙ Book Discussions
For the ink-hearted
an exposition of micro and punk poetry
Dedicated to Emerging Writers
quotes, excerpts and reviews
You don’t start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap and thinking it’s good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it. That’s why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence. Octavia E. Butler
My life as a black, disabled teenager
A bookish blog (mostly) about women writers of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries