As we head into the final few days of 2012, I wanted to post briefly about the challenge and peoples’ progress, including my own. Unfortunately, it looks like I’m only going to get through 11 of the 12 books I need in order to “Win.” That’s still a win for me, though, as it’s 11 books that had been sitting on my shelves for ages that I’ve finally read! I enjoyed most of them, too.
Here are the 10 that I’ve finished (I’m working on #11, Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway, right now):
2. Islands in the Stream by Ernest Hemingway (Currently Reading)
3. City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (Completed 3/1/2012)
4. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Completed 2/5/2012)
7. Nova Express by William S. Burroughs (Completed 1/21/2012)
8. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (Completed 1/25/2012)
9. Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (Completed 12/22/2012)
10. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (Completed 1/12/2012)
11. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (Completed 2/24/2012)
12. Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut (Completed 2/12/2012)
Alt 2. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Completed 7/26/2012)
We do have some folks who have commented on the master post indicating that they are finished – outstanding! Once the year ends and the 2013 challenge begins, I will be going back to check final lists & reviews, and all those who did finish and who met the challenge specifications will be entered to win the $50 Gift Card (Amazon or The Book Depository).
So, we had 123 people sign-up for the 2012 challenge and, so far, 12 have reported as being finished. Oh, boy! That’s certainly good odds for the prize!
If you’re out there and you’ve finished your challenge, be sure to go back to the master post and leave a comment letting us know (or feel free to leave a comment on this post, too).
If you didn’t finish – what kind of progress did you make? 1 of 12? 6 of 12? Even reading one book is a step in the right direction, so if you gave it a shot – good for you! Come back and join us in 2013 for another go!
I actually very much enjoyed almost all of these books, so it’s a shame that I had left them sitting on my shelves for so long. But that’s what this challenge is for! Many of these (Gone With the Wind, The Woman in White, Cannery Row, and The Handmaid’s Tale) actually ended up being some of my favorite reads of the year – and maybe even of all time!
Which books from your list did you love? Which ones did you hate? Looking forward to any in 2013?
Read. Write. Resist.
A Writer and His Reading
Notes on Classic Literature and Life
Thoughts on books to read in your spare time...
~ a classic book conversation ~
Discussing Paths Towards Happiness
Freaky Tales from Far and Wide
We believe in being brave.