Even though I am one of the founders and moderators of The Classics Club, it has been quite some time since I’ve participated in a Classics Club Spin, one of the fun events we do a few times per year. I thought I would jump back in, this time, since I’m ahead of schedule on my own TBR Pile Challenge but way behind schedule in my Classics Club challenge list?
What is the Classics Spin? Essentially, clubbers choose twenty books from their classics club reading list and post them by the due date.Then, on “spin day,” a number between 1-20 is revealed, and that is the book you have to read before the deadline (usually the end of the following month). You can choose your books randomly, divide them by categories, or whatever. Part of the challenge, though, is to choose at least a few that you know you’re dreading, just in case this is the opportunity to nudge you toward it.
So, I went mostly with a “random” sort this time, but I did choose at least one book from each of the “centuries” represented on my main club list. Here are the twenty I’ve pulled to play with:
- The Blazing World by Margaret Cavendish
- At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O’Neill
- The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
- The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade
- Kim by Rudyard Kipling
- A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft (re-read)
- Eugénie Grandet – Honoré de Balzac
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
- The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
- Paradise Lost by John Milton
- Dead Souls by Nikolay Gogol
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
- So Big by Edna Ferber
- Wise Blood by Flannery O’Connor
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Metamorphoses by Ovid
- The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
I guess I’m hoping for Number 3, Number 5, or Number 8 and probably most worried about Number 20, Number 19, and Number 13 – mostly because of how long they all are; but whatever happens, I’m ready to read! Let’s spin!